The bi-annual celebrations weekend took place in North Lake Tahoe, California. This is a tradition where the winos get together for a long weekend to celebrate events of the past six months. Birthdays, weddings, kids off to college, life or just being with friends. North Lake Tahoe is so relaxing in October – the skiers have not invaded for the winter season, the summer vacationers are home and prices on home weekend Lake Tahoe vacation homes are quite favorable. We found a lovely home Speckled Tree House that we used as the base camp. Adding a few more homes in the surrounding area we managed to keep the whole group within walking distance. We researched a few of the restaurants in the area and left the rest to chance.
- Happy Hour/Sunset at Big Water Grille: It was Thursday and the place was alive, we immediately knew that the weekend was off to a good start. Charles Krug Cabernet Sauvignon and Kim Crawford Chardonnay were the favorites, although the Skyy Cosmos and the well priced beers were also a hit. With football and baseball on the TVs the sports aficionados (men and women) were happy, and others found peace and quite watching the sunset from the outdoor deck.
- Lunch at Gar Woods after a walk around Tahoe City: a go-to destination for views of the Lake and pitchers of Wet Woodys. Yes that is what they are known for, the group selected 18 Year Old Woody ( with 18 year old Flor de Cana fine rum) and The Black Seal (with Gosling’s Black Seal 151).
- Dinner with Dehliger: Everyone cooked and the 1999 Dehligher Syrah and 2000 Dehlinger Pinot Noir were the perfect pairing for the pork loin main course.
- Brunch with Mumm: The group split up, some stayed home and popped open magnums of Mumm with a very healthy, home-made chicken salad.
- Au Revoir Dinner at The Soule Domaine: A charming log cabin and one of the best local restaurants. The 2012 Laetitia Estate Chardonnay with appetizers, followed by a 2001 Sonoma Valley Cabernet Sauvignon were the perfect ending for this weekend adventure.